Dyer denies ‘gang-rape’ involvement, two more footballers arrested


  • Other Sport
  • Saturday, 11 Oct 2003

LONDON: England international footballer Kieron Dyer angrily denied yesterday that he had any involvement in an alleged gang rape attack on a 17-year-old girl, which she claims took place in a plush London hotel. 

“I had no involvement in this matter let alone being 'at the centre of it’ as suggested in e-mails, websites and elsewhere,” said the 24-year-old Newcastle United midfielder, who is in Turkey with the English national squad, in a statement issued through his lawyers. 

“Until now I have felt trapped and it has been very frustrating that I have been unable to clarify publicly the facts which clearly exonerate me, whilst the police conduct their inquiries,” the statement said. 

Dyer’s denial came on a day when British police arrested two more men in connection with the allegation by a teenage girl that she was gang raped, reportedly by several English Premiership footballers in a London hotel last month. 

The 22-year-old and 19-year-old men, both understood to be Premiership footballers, were held and quizzed at a London police station “in connection with an allegation of rape and sexual assault made by a 17-year-old female”, the Metropolitan Police said in a press statement. 

Police did not name the new men arrested. 

The 22-year-old arrested yesterday was later released on police bail and ordered to reappear for questioning later this month while the 19-year-old remains in custody. 

The latest arrests bring to four the number of men questioned by police over the rape allegation. – AFP  

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
   

Across the site