Davis stuns Fulham, Boro ready to pounce


LONDON: Fulham's promising young midfielder Sean Davis is being targeted by Middlesbrough after he stunned his London club on Thursday by handing in a transfer request just nine days before the start of the English Premiership season. 

Davis, 22, already the subject of a bid from Everton earlier in the summer, said he wanted to further his career by moving to a bigger club. 

“I’ve been at Fulham a long time and now I think it is time I moved on,” said Davis. 

“It is not a decision I’ve taken lightly and I hope the fans understand, but I’m a very ambitious player and I don’t think Fulham have the necessary ambition any more since they sold Steve Finnan to Liverpool.” 

In a statement, Fulham said the club and manager Chris Coleman were dismayed by the move. 

“Chris is obviously saddened by the request as he believes that Sean had a huge future at the club and that his career prospects would have been considerably enhanced playing for Fulham in a pivotal role.” 

Boro boss Steve McClaren confirmed their interest. 

“He’s a player I’ve always admired. I like the way he plays and I’ve followed his progress all the way through,” said McClaren. 

“He’s a clever player who fits our profile. He’s English, he’s young and he’s a player that I’ve said if he becomes available, he’s somebody we’d certainly be interested in.” – AFP  

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
   

Stories You'll Enjoy


Vouchers