MONACO: Formula Ones single lap qualifying format will stay despite Bernie Ecclestones desire for change, says International Automobile Federation (FIA) president Max Mosley.
Theres no way it is going to change this season, the world motor sport chief said at the Monaco Grand Prix.
Next season ... you can never say never, but at the moment there doesnt seem to be enough evidence that we need a change nor is there a clear proposal which is obviously better than what weve got now.
Formula One supremo Ecclestone has criticised the format introduced this season to liven up the show on offer and revive flagging television audiences after a year of Ferrari domination.
Previously qualifying was over one hour, with drivers given four timed laps and able to take to the track whenever they chose.
Now they get one solo lap each on Friday, running in championship order, and another on Saturday with race fuel loads to define the grid.
Ecclestone this week raised the idea of a Superpole format akin to that used in superbikes with the top 10 in regular qualifying going into a further one lap shoot-out.
Points would be awarded to the top three.
Every time you talk to him hes got a new angle on it, said Mosley. There are about three different versions. One is that you have a qualifying on the Saturday and you give some points and then you draw lots for the grid on Sunday.
Another version is that you run the practice that we have, then you take the 10 fastest and then they have another go to go even faster and thats for the grid.
I think there are so many different versions but the truth of it is that we need to go through the season and see how this works, he said.
Mosley said the format worked on television.
There is a difficulty, no doubt, that the Saturday qualifying is less intense than the old one, he said. Okay, you sat there for half an hour and nothing happened but then everything was happening.
But what pays for Formula One is the television. If you lose the television audience, that would finish the whole thing. Reuters