Wurz cleared of SARS after quarantine at hospital


  • Other Sport
  • Thursday, 03 Apr 2003

VIENNA: McLaren reserve driver Alexander Wurz was admitted to hospital to see if he had contracted the deadly Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS) pneumonia virus last week, the Austrian said on Tuesday. 

Wurz was admitted to hospital after falling ill upon returning to his Monaco home from the Malaysian Grand Prix and spent 24 hours in quarantine while undergoing tests. 

“When I came home to Monaco I was really ill,” Wurz told Austrian daily Kleine Zeitung. “My physician heard I had been to Malaysia and sent me to hospital. 

“They tested me and I was put into quarantine. I was in hospital for 24 hours until the most important blood tests were done and I was totally clear.” 

The World Health Organisation has not listed any suspected cases of the virus in Malaysia. 

Wurz, who has watched McLaren's first choice drivers David Coulthard and Kimi Raikkonen take one win each from the opening two GPs of the season, will travel to Sao Paulo for the Brazilian GP. 

“I intend to fly to Sao Paulo (yesterday),” he added. – Reuters 

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
   

Across the site