Malacca MC thump Afats with a dozen goals to head Division Two

KUALA LUMPUR: Malacca MC regained their place at the top of Division Two of the MHF-Milo-NSC-Admiral Junior Hockey League and they are virtually through to the quarter-finals following a 12-0 drubbing of Armed Forces Apprentice Training School (AFATS) at the Tun Razak Stadium here yesterday. 

The Malacca side joined Sports Schools Juniors on 24 points after eight matches and they need one point more from their remaining three matches to seal their place in the quarter-finals. 

Malacca MC coach Eugene Lee said yesterday that he was not bragging but felt that the Division Two title was good as theirs. 

“I think there is no doubt that we will win the title. Sure, the match against Sports School on April 6 will be the decider. I not only have a team to win the Division Two title but one who can challenge the Division One sides as well,” he said. 

“We went for goals against Afats today to ensure that we stay in front.” 

Besides the match against Sports School, Malacca MC will also play against lowly Kerian and Perak Malays. The Sports School other two matches are against MSS Perlis and SM Datuk Taha, who have a slim chance to advance. 

SM Datuk Taha remained in third spot with a 3-0 win over Perak Malays while MSS Perlis scored a 1-0 win over Synergy Hockey Club. 

Malacca MC and Sports School also hold a vastly superior goal difference over the other contenders. 

Malacca MC have a plus 58 advantage while the Sports School have chalked up a plus 39. SM Datuk Taha have a plus 13 while MSS Perlis have a plus five. 

Two Malacca MC players – Ahmed Annuar and Nazmi Kamarudin – scored a hat-trick against Afats yesterday while Norhamezi Omar scored a brace. The other scorers were Hanif Hamzah, Mohamed Faizal Bakar, Imran Ali and Mohamed Syakir Hamzah. 

At the Perlis Sports Complex in Kangar, a 70th minute goal by Mohamed Shafiq Abdul Razak gave MSS Perlis full points against Synergy. 

At the Azlan Shah Stadium in Ipoh, SM Datuk Taha had little trouble beating Perak Malays. Mohamed Zulfadi scored two goals in the 28th and 41st minute and a minute later Mohamed Zaini Ibrahim made it 3-0. 

The League takes a break for the Sultan Azlan Shah Cup, which will be played in Ipoh from March 22-30. Competition resumes on April 4. 

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3

Stories You'll Enjoy