Open affair for selection of national bowlers this year


PETALING JAYA: The national bowling selection this year will be an open affair. 

For the first time, states will send their representatives to a 36-game selection trial, which will be held at two venues – Pyramid Mega Lanes and Genting Bowl at the Summit in Subang Jaya – on Saturday and Sunday in order to be shortlisted into the national squad. 

The state bowlers will compete alongside the national bowlers for places in the team. 

National coach Holloway Cheah (pic) said yesterday that they hoped to rope in new faces into the team. 

“Our new chief coach, Mats Karlsson, wants a bigger pool of players. We have requested the states to send their bowlers (to the trials),” he said. 

“They will play 16 games at each of the two venues. We want to see how they bowlers fare in different lane conditions.” 

He added that they would wait for the approval from the National Sports Council (NSC) before deciding on the number of bowlers for the national team. 

Last year, the NSC approved 15 men and 15 women. 

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
   

Stories You'll Enjoy