Malacca, Kedah fall to MPPJ, Public Bank

PETALING JAYA: Selangor club sides MPPJ and Public Bank made state teams Malacca and Kedah eat humble pie when they knocked out the Premier I sides to qualify for the second round of the FA Cup competition. 

MPPJ, who drew the first leg match 1-1 at the MPPJ Stadium in Kelana Jaya last Wednesday, found their mark to upstage Malacca in front of their home supporters with a 2-1 win at the Stadium Hang Tuah to qualify 3-2 on aggregate. 

In Alor Star, Public Bank lost 0-1 to Kedah but they had a two-goal cushion after a 3-1 win in the first leg at the Selayang Municipal Council Stadium. They pipped Kedah 3-2 on aggregate. 

After a 1-1deadlock away, the Kancils, who had been aiming to finish off the job at home, saw their ambitions going up in smoke within 18 minutes of the kick-off. 

The MPPJ boys, first round casualties last season losing to Sabah 2-6 on aggregate, got down to serious business with Argentine import striker Juan Manuel Arostegui and former international Anuar Abu Bakar putting the visitors ahead in the 12th and 18th minutes respectively.  

Malacca brought in first-choice goalkeeper Zainal Rabin for a shaky Azizan Abdul Kadir in the second half. Within three minutes of the restart, the homesters reduced the deficit through Halim Jantan after goalkeeper Jamsari Sabian fumbled a lob. 

IT'S MINE: Malacca Telekom's goalkeeper grabs the ball before Kelantan SKMK striker Mohd Faizal Asmar (No.14) can reach it in their FA Cup second leg match at the Sultan Mohammed IV Stadium Wednesday. Telekom won 1-0.

MPPJ, however, held out stoutly – with Jamsari stopping a 82nd minute penalty from Norizan Ali Hassan – to come off winners. MPPJ will face Selangor in the second round. 

Public Bank, who had been whipped 2-7 by MPPJ in a league match three days ago, picked up the pieces to hold fancied Kedah, who had qualified for the semi-finals last year. 

Kedah scored the solitary goal through Manzoor Azwira in the 20th minute. Manzoor outjumped goalkeeper V. Murugan to head into the net at the near post off a free kick taken by left back Irwan Fadzli. The win, however, was not enough for the Hijau Kuning outfit to overhaul Public Bank. 

In the 19th minute Akmal Rizal managed to outwit his markers but was impeded by Leong Hong Seng just outside the penalty area but Akmal's free kick was well read by Murugan who had no problem collecting it. 

In Kota Baru, Malacca Telekom advanced into the second round after a narrow 1-0 win over Premier II club side Kelantan SKMK at the Sultan Mohamed IV Stadium. An own goal by Anuar Abdul Ronie a minute from time enabled Telekom to qualify 3-1 on aggregate and will now face Johor FC in the next round. 

Elsewhere, the big boys, as expected, cruised into the second round. Pahang scored a 1-0 win over Kelantan to qualify 3-1 on aggregate with Rosdi Talib scoring the solitary goal in the 61st minute. Perlis were held to a goalless draw by Armed Forces but went through to a meeting with Penang thanks to their 2-0 first leg win.  

Sarawak were also held – 2-2 by Perak TKN – but qualified 6-2 on aggregate. 

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3

Stories You'll Enjoy