KOTA KINABALU: The names of Sabah's athletes who tested positive for banned drugs at the Malaysia Games here, will be revealed next month.
State Culture, Youth and Sports Minister Tan Sri Joseph Kurup, said yesterday that this would be done once investigation had been completed.
There is still one or two points that needed to be looked into further ... and we will try our best to do that before the end of March, he said after witnessing the collection of signatures for the Malaysians for Peace campaign organised by the Sabah Sports Board at the Likas Sports Complex here.
On Sunday, Deputy Chief Minister Datuk Lajim Haji Ukin called for a speedy probe into the doping scandal, which involved three state athletes at the Sukma here last September.
In making the call, Lajim, who is Sabah Youth Council (MBS) president, said there should be no delay in the investigations.
I am puzzled as to why the investigation takes so long although the sample of the athletes urine had been tested, he said.
News reports last Thursday quoted National Sports Institute (NSI) director Dr Ramlan Abdul Aziz as announcing that four weightlifters three from hosts Sabah and one from Selangor had tested positive for the diuretic nandrolone decanoate during the competition in last years Sukma .The weightlifters may be stripped of the medals they had won.
Asked on this, Kurup said if there was basis in the allegations, two bodies the National Sports Council (NSC) Doping Centre and the state association concerned, Sabah Weightlifting Association (Sawba), could take punitive action against those involved.
We can choose and I am of the opinion that the NSC Doping Centre could also announce its findings but when I am satisfied about the reports ... I myself can announce it, he added.
Sawba had so far denied the allegation. Bernama