ROME: Italian champions Juventus denied on Wednesday that their French World Cup winning striker David Trezeguet is about to be allowed to leave the club.
Vittorio Chiusano, the chairman of the Serie A giants, told private radio station Radio Radio here that 25-year-old Trezeguet, who has been the subject of feverish media speculation about a move to England or Spain, is not leaving the club.
Trezeguets contract with Juventus runs out in 2005, and on Friday he was reported to have threatened leaving the club if they did not hand him a massive pay rise with a new contract.
That led to a flurry of speculation over the weekend about the potential destination of the Italian leagues top scorer last season (tied with Dario Hubner on 24 goals), with English champions Arsenal and Spanish giants Barcelona being most mooted.
Earlier in the day, RAI Uno said the Turin club were keeping tight-lipped in protest at the spate of allegedly inaccurate reports of Trezeguets departure.
Trezeguet, who was a member of the French team that won the 1998 World Cup and scored the golden goal in the Euro 2000 triumph over Italy, missed much of the start of this season after injuring his knee in a friendly pre-season tournament on July 31. AFP