LONDON: Jordan have yet to decide on their second driver for this season and finding a title sponsor remains the main priority, the Formula One team said on Saturday.
“In spite of intense media speculation concerning various drivers and their possible links with Jordan, the team has made no decision concerning either the second race seat or reserve driver,” Jordan said on their website.
“Team boss Eddie Jordan is concentrating on finalising sponsorship agreements prior to making any decisions or announcements regarding the driver-line-up.”
Jordan, with Italian Giancarlo Fisichella confirmed as one driver, and Minardi are the only teams still with driver vacancies ahead of the season which starts on March 9 in Australia.
Japan’s Takuma Sato drove for Jordan last year but has returned to British American Racing (BAR) as a test driver. Briton Eddie Irvine and Brazilians Felipe Massa and Enrique Bernoldi are seen as front-runners to replace him.
Recent media reports have also linked Dutch driver Jos Verstappen to Jordan as well as Minardi. Both teams have said their choice of second driver will be driven by commercial considerations.
Jordan, sixth overall last season, have also to find a replacement title sponsor after the withdrawal of Deutsche Post and have yet to announce a launch date for their new Ford-powered EJ13 car.
“Jordan is currently finalising launch plans together with Ford and team sponsors and preparing to unveil the team livery and driver line-up following the Jordan EJ13’s initial tests in mid-January,” the team said. – Reuters