Suspension only after three bookings, decides FAM


BY RONNIE OH

PENANG: The FA of Malaysia's competitions committee have decided to be more lenient this season in order to check the rampant suspension in the local league. 

FAM vice president Datuk Seri Dr Ibrahim Saad yesterday said that the committee had decided that a player would only sit out a one-match ban after three bookings instead of two previously.  

“This is not something new. Though it is new in Malaysia it is very popular in Europe,” said Dr Ibrahim. “The simple reason is that statistics have shown that far too many players inevitably have to sit out because it is easy to collect two yellow cards. 

“To curb this problem and to be sure that these players spend more time on the field rather than on the bench, this review is necessary.” 

The Premier I season will begin on Feb 8 and ends with the Malaysia Cup final on Oct 4. 

The early conclusion to this year’s League fixtures was to allow the national team to prepare for the Asian Cup and the Olympic qualifiers, he said. 

“The deadline for the registration of players will be on Jan 11, with the draw to be held a week later on Jan 18.” 

Meanwhile, three Premier II teams - Negri Sembilan, Kuala Lumpur and clubside Kelantan DID - will utilise other stadiums as their home venues this season. 

Negri have opted for Malacca’s Stadium Hang Tuah since Stadium Paroi in under renovation ahead of the state hosting the Malaysia Games next year. KL will use the Universiti Islam Antarabangsa (UIA) ground in Gombak while Kelantan DID, who were denied the usage of Stadium Sultan Mohd IV in Kota Baru since two other Kelantan clubs SKMK and Kelantan TNB and the State team are already making use of the venue, had decided to play their home matches at Kuala Terengganu’s Stadium Sultan Ismail Nasiruddin. 

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
   

Stories You'll Enjoy