Arsenal and Man United ease through into FA Cup fourth round

LONDON: Struggling Third Division club Shrewsbury dumped Premiership high-flyers Everton out of the FA Cup yesterday in one of the biggest ever upsets in the history of the competition. 

Veteran journeyman Nigel Jemson was the Shrews hero with both goals in a famous 2-1 victory in the third round tie at Gay Meadow, the winner coming just two minutes before the end of regulation time. 

Jemson had put the home side ahead just before half-time. 

But Shrewsbury boss Kevin Ratcliffe, the captain of the great Everton side of the mid-eighties, must have thought the chance of a famous victory over his former club had disappeared when Niclas Andersson equalised on the hour mark. 

Yet his side, displaying a composure which belied their current position in 18th place in the bottom division of English football, kept taking the game to the Merseyside giants and they got their reward when Jemson popped up to head home the late winner. 

“I knew we’d cause them problems with our pace and they were never able to cope with it. 

“We’ve done it on merit, it was quite enjoyable really,” added Ratcliffe. 

Farnborough ensured there would be at least one non-league team in tomorrow’s draw for the fourth round with a 3-2 win at third division Darlington. 

Dagenham and Redbridge also lived to fight another day after a 2-2 draw at Plymouth, but Morecambe's run came to an end with a 4-0 defeat at Ipswich. 

Premiership leaders Arsenal kept their bid to repeat last year’s league and Cup double on track with a comfortable 2-0 win over Oxford United. A Dennis Bergkamp 15th-minute strike and a second-half own goal by Scott McNiven saw the Gunners ease into the fourth round. 

West Ham lived dangerously before sneaking through with a 3-2 win over Nottingham Forest secured by Jermain Defoe’s second goal of the day. 

The Hammers were up against it for most of the match with Marlon Harewood and then Andrew Reid twice giving Forest the lead. But Defoe's first and a Joe Cole strike kept them alive and after David Johnson missed a penalty that would have put the first division side ahead for a third time, it seemed like it was going to be the Hammers' day. 

They duly held on for their first win at Upton Park all season. 

Matt Jansen found the back of the net for the first time since May with a double in Blackburn's 4-1 win over Premiership rivals Aston Villa. 

Jansen, who spent most of the autumn recovering from a motorbike crash, put Blackburn ahead after 17 minutes. 

Juan Pablo Angel got Villa on level terms before the break but Rovers ran out comfortable winners with Dwight Yorke claiming his own brace either side of Jansen's second. 

Bolton and Sunderland will have to replay their all-Premiership clash after Kevin Phillips cancelled out Michael Ricketts’ opener for Bolton. 

Chelsea emerged victorious from a bad-tempered clash with Middlesbrough thanks to Mario Stanic’s 38th minute winner. 

Mark Viduka made it two goals in two games with a 32nd-minute penalty as Leeds United disposed of third division Scunthorpe. 

The Australian then produced a delightful flick to release Eirik Bakke and allow the Norwegian international to kill off the tie. 

Daniele Dichio gave West Brom welcome respite from their Premiership survival battle with a hat-trick in the first 19 minutes against Bradford that saw the Baggies run out 3-1 winners. 

Former Scotland boss Craig Brown's days as Preston boss could be numbered after the struggling first division side were dumped out of the competition by third division Rochdale. 

Player-manager Paul Simpson clinched a famous victory for Rochdale over their Lancashire rivals with the winner just after the hour mark after Iain Anderson had cancelled out Lee McEvilly's opener for the visitors. 

Earlier in the day, Manchester United brought First Division high flyers Portsmouth down to earth with a 4-1 win at Old Trafford that featured a brace of identical penalties from Ruud van Nistelrooy, a David Beckham free-kick special and a Paul Scholes strike right at the death. Former England midfielder Steve Stone scored for Portsmouth. – AFP  

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
Join our Telegram channel to get our Evening Alerts and breaking news highlights

Stories You'll Enjoy