Motor racing-Chinese F1 Grand Prix cancelled for fourth year in a row


LONDON (Reuters) - Formula One's Chinese Grand Prix was cancelled for the fourth year in a row on Friday due to strict local measures to curb the spread of COVID-19.

The 2023 race in Shanghai had been scheduled for April 16 as the fourth stop on a record 24-round calendar, but the cancellation came as no surprise.

"Formula One can confirm, following dialogue with the promoter and relevant authorities, that the 2023 Chinese Grand Prix will not take place due to the ongoing difficulties presented by the COVID-19 situation," Formula One said in a statement.

"Formula One is assessing alternative options to replace the slot on the 2023 calendar and will provide an update on this in due course."

(Reporting by Alan Baldwin, editing by Alex Richardson)

Article type: free
User access status:
Subscribe now to our Premium Plan for an ad-free and unlimited reading experience!
   

Next In Motorsport

Motor racing-Wehrlein takes the Formula E lead with a double in Diriyah
Motor racing-FIA defends Ben Sulayem after reported sexist comments
Motor racing-Porsche's Wehrlein wins first of two Saudi Formula E races
Hannah driven to make safety first in motorsports
Motor racing-Alfa Romeo F1 team announce co-title partnership with Stake
Motor racing-Ferrari boss assures Sainz on his status within team
Motor racing-Ferrari's only target is the title, says new boss Vasseur
Motor racing-Unfinished business in F1? Never say never, says Vandoorne
Motor racing-Alunni Bravi appointed Alfa Romeo F1 team representative
Motor racing-Let Hamilton speak out, says Bahrain rights group

Others Also Read