Motor racing-Bathurst race switched as New Zealand and Perth cancelled


(Reuters) - Races scheduled to be held in New Zealand and Perth in the Supercars Championship have been cancelled while the Bathurst 1000 has been shifted to November as pandemic restrictions forced the series to reconfigure their 2021 calendar.

Bathurst, the series' most high-profile race, had been scheduled to run from Oct. 7 to 10 but will now be held from Nov. 4 to 7 due to COVID-19 restrictions currently in place in New South Wales.

"With the ever-changing COVID landscape, our teams and broadcast partners have agreed it is in all our stakeholders' best interests commercially and competitively to move our premier event to a later date," Supercars Chief Executive Sean Seamer said in a statement.

The recent reintroduction of travel restrictions between New Zealand and Australia mean teams will not be able to move across the Tasman Sea to compete while similar border closures in Western Australia have led to the cancellation of the race in Perth.

"Unfortunately, our event planned for Perth presents significant risk with the ongoing restrictions, so we've made the difficult decision to move it to the 2022 calendar," Seamer said.

"Similarly, our Kiwi fans across the ditch will be undoubtedly disappointed to see New Zealand does not feature on the revised calendar due to the trans-Tasman bubble being suspended.

"These are challenging times for all sporting codes, which is why we have had to remain flexible with our calendar arrangements and make significant changes where required."

(Reporting by Michael Church; Editing by Christopher Cushing)

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 46
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
Join our Telegram channel to get our Evening Alerts and breaking news highlights
   

Next In Motorsport

Akid back on track with new team
Petronas Sepang Racing Team will now be known as RNF Racing
Azroy flying on the wings of love
Muzakkir shows he’s the rider to chase in CP150 race
It’ll feel like a new start for riders when Cub Prix resumes
Motor racing-Aston Martin F1 team confirm Stroll and Vettel for 2022
Motor racing-Aston Martin F1 team owner Stroll expects Vettel to stay
Motor racing-Aston Martin break ground on new Silverstone F1 factory
Motor racing-Raikkonen indicates he will be back for the Russian GP
Nazim hopes for Bullish times ahead after maiden EuroFormula win

Stories You'll Enjoy


Vouchers