Portugal takes vacant May 2 slot on F1 calendar


LONDON (Reuters) - Portugal will fill a slot left vacant by Vietnam and be the third race of the Formula One season on May 2, the sport confirmed on Friday.

The race will again be held at the Algarve circuit near Portimao that made its debut last October on a calendar reduced to 17 races as a result of cancellations due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

That was the first Portuguese Grand Prix in 25 years.

Formula One is planning a record 23 races this year, with the season starting on March 28 in Bahrain.

"We want to thank the promoter and the Portuguese Government for their hard work and dedication in getting us to this point," said Formula One chief executive Stefano Domenicali in a statement.

"We are confident and excited about our 2021 season, having shown last year that we could deliver 17 races safely and bring our millions of fans thrilling racing at a difficult time.

"We hope to welcome fans to Portimao again this season in a safe way and are working with the promoter on the details of that plan."

Last year's Portuguese race weekend was attended by 27,000 spectators.

(Reporting by Alan Baldwin, editing by Toby Davis)

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 46
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
   

Next In Motorsport

Aston Martin F1 team boss wants aero rule revision
Mazepin is sometimes trying too hard, says Steiner
McLaren back Ricciardo's criticism of F1's crash obsession
Perez and Ocon collide as Mercedes lead Imola practice
Alonso casts doubt on racing Indianapolis 500 again
Mir's crew chief tests positive for COVID-19, to miss Portuguese GP
Calm Verstappen takes long-term view as round two looms
Hamilton says F1 rivalry with Vettel remains his favourite
Canadian Grand Prix cancelled for second year: CBC
Marquez nervous about return to MotoGP after crash

Stories You'll Enjoy


Vouchers