BMW follows Audi to the Formula E exit


FILE PHOTO: The BMW logo is seen on a steering wheel during the media day of the 41st Bangkok International Motor Show after the Thai government eased measures to prevent the spread of the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) in Bangkok, Thailand July 14, 2020. REUTERS/Jorge Silva

(Reuters) - BMW will be following Audi out of the electric Formula E series at the end of next year after announcing its departure on Wednesday.

Audi said on Monday it would withdraw as a works team to focus on the Dakar Rally and endurance racing including an eventual return to Le Mans.

BMW said in a statement a day after pre-season testing ended in Spain that its journey in Formula E was "hitting the home stretch" and the group's strategic focus was shifting.

"When it comes to the development of e-drivetrains, BMW Group has essentially exhausted the opportunities for this form of technology transfer in the competitive environment of Formula E," it added.

BMW's Formula E team is run by U.S.-based Andretti Motorsport.

"We look forward to announcing our own plans for the continuation of our Formula E program in due course," Andretti told roadandtrack.com.

Formula E's seventh season starts in Chile in January. Other major manufacturers involved include Mercedes, Porsche, Nissan, Jaguar and Citroen's DS brand.

The series, which is now an FIA-backed world championship, is due to move to a third generation of cars in 2022. India's Mahindra are so far the only manufacturer to have committed to that future.

(Reporting by Alan Baldwin in London, editing by Toby Davis)

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 18
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
   

Next In Motorsport

Volkswagen considering entry to more sustainable F1 - BBC
Vettel says F1 sprint races make no sense
Aston Martin expect to get the best out of Vettel
Aston Martin bring in James Bond as new F1 mission begins
He will step up a gear
Alonso 'completely fit' and fine for testing, says Alpine CEO
Bottas hopes to fight for F1 title with a 'happy head'
Eighth title bid will not decide my future, says Hamilton
Alonso does not look or drive like a 39-year-old, says Ocon
Hamilton makes diversity a priority as Mercedes show off his new car

Stories You'll Enjoy


Vouchers