Let’s play it Safe – Cub Prix C’ship seeks clearer directive


PETALING JAYA: The Malaysian Cub Prix Championship promoters want a clearer directive from the government before allowing spectators in to watch their races.

Promoters Safe Aim Mutual (SAM) Sdn Bhd said the Youth and Sports Minister Datuk Reezal Merican Naina Merican had announced in July that spectators would be allowed into sporting venues on a smaller scale.

The government has allowed social events, including wedding receptions, engagement parties, reunion and religious events to be attended by a maximum of 250 people from July 1.

However, Prime Minister Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin’s announcement last week that sporting events will be allowed to continue but without international participants and spectators, is rather confusing.

SAM director Ron Hogg said they are waiting for a clear directive on the issue as they hope to make changes for the second half of the season.

“We’re ready to allow spectators into races if the government gives permission but it’s a bit confusing because in the PM’s recent announcement, he mentioned there will be no spectators allowed until the end of the year.

“In our initial discussions with the sports ministry, they did mention the possibility of spectators but now it is not clear. We understand that the football authorities are also trying to get approval for a limited number of spectators,” said Ron.

He added that the increasing number of local Covid-19 cases casts an ominous shadow over the championship next season.

“It’s very tough to plan anything at the moment... it seems that the government looks at the situation on a weekly basis and if there is a slight increase (in cases), they tighten restrictions and you can’t blame the government,” he said.

“We’re actually quite worried about next year’s schedule because I think we will have to live with Covid-19 for some time. At the moment, we are happy to at least be able to organise a few races.”

The Cub Prix events were scheduled to start on March 14-15 but were disrupted by the Covid-19 outbreak. It finally started off with the first round on July 17-18 at Sepang.

The second round was held at Tangkak, Johor, from Aug 22-23. The third round will be held at the south track of the Sepang International Circuit (SIC) today.

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
Join our Telegram channel to get our Evening Alerts and breaking news highlights
   

Next In Motorsport

Motor racing-The tide is turning in Red Bull's favour
Motor racing-Palou wins at Road American as F1 team mates reunite
Motor racing-Hamilton plays down blow of another loss to Verstappen
Motor racing-Bottas says Mercedes should have listened to him
Motor racing-Verstappen on a roll with Red Bull after French win
Motor racing-Di Grassi wins Puebla Formula E race
Motor racing-Verstappen beats Hamilton to French GP pole
Motor racing-F1 teams unhappy at costly car-damaging Le Castellet kerbs
Motor racing-No Mercedes clause in Ocon's contract, says Alpine F1 boss
Motor racing-Verstappen keeps Mercedes behind in French GP practice

Stories You'll Enjoy


Vouchers