Hulkenberg says he is 'quite likely' to stay at Renault


FILE PHOTO: Formula One F1 - Monaco Grand Prix - Circuit de Monaco, Monte Carlo, Monaco - May 23, 2019 Renault's Nico Hulkenberg during practice REUTERS/Benoit Tessier

HOCKENHEIM, Germany (Reuters) - German Formula One driver Nico Hulkenberg is 'quite likely' to stay at Renault next season, he said on Thursday, despite speculation linking others to the seat.

The 31-year-old, team mate to Australian Daniel Ricciardo, is in his third season at Renault and out of contract at the end of 2019.

In nine and a half seasons in the sport, and 166 starts, the Le Mans 24 Hours winner has yet to stand on the podium -- a Formula One record -- with a best result of fourth.

"If you look across the three years, we can't be entirely happy with everything that we've done," told reporters ahead of Sunday's German Grand Prix at Hockenheim.

"Nevertheless, the outlook is still good. We still see light at the end of the tunnel and we believe we can still catch up to some extent.

"We'll see what happens in the future and what happens to me as well. As for now, there's nothing set in stone but I think it's quite likely that I will remain with the team."

Young French driver Esteban Ocon, who is backed by Mercedes, has been linked to Renault and was set to join last year before Ricciardo decided to leave Red Bull and take the French manufacturer's offer.

Renault are fifth in the championship going into the 11th race of the 21-round championship, 21 points behind McLaren, who use the same engines. Hulkenberg has scored 17 points to Ricciardo's 22.

The team were fourth overall in 2018.

(Writing by Alan Baldwin in London; Editing by David Goodman)

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
   

Next In Motorsport

Aitken stays on as Williams F1 reserve
Volkswagen considering entry to more sustainable F1 - BBC
Vettel says F1 sprint races make no sense
Aston Martin expect to get the best out of Vettel
Aston Martin bring in James Bond as new F1 mission begins
He will step up a gear
Alonso 'completely fit' and fine for testing, says Alpine CEO
Bottas hopes to fight for F1 title with a 'happy head'
Eighth title bid will not decide my future, says Hamilton
Alonso does not look or drive like a 39-year-old, says Ocon

Stories You'll Enjoy


Vouchers