PETALING JAYA: The Malaysian Hockey League (MHL) could be postponed as some are reluctant to release their players due to the worsening Covid-19 pandemic.
TNB Thunderbolts coach Mohd Madzli Ikmar said the Education Ministry are not allowing some of the schoolboys in the team to be part of the league, which will start on Thursday.
“We had a Zoom meeting with the officials yesterday, and they did say that there is an 80% chance that the league could be postponed, ” said Madzli.
“We can’t be upset if it’s postponed. It’s best to wait until the tournament resumes. During the break, the team will do their training programmes virtually. There are no issues in keeping the players fit.
“We have told the players to go back to their respective states and accept whatever decision.”
Terengganu striker Faisal Saari said he would look at the positives if the league had to be postponed.
“It’s not under our control. The only good thing is that we’ll have more time to prepare ourselves physically and mentally. I think these stop-starts are part of our lives now, ” said Faisal.
Universiti Kuala Lumpur (UniKL) coach Megat Azrafiq Megat Termizi said his team would continue to train for the Charity Shield game against Terengganu on Jan 14.
“We will only plan on what to do when there is an official announcement, ” said Megat.
The men’s competition will feature defending champions Universiti Kuala Lumpur (UniKL), Sabah, Terengganu, Tenaga Nasional (TNB), TNB Thunderbolts, Maybank, Universiti Teknologi Mara (UiTM) and Nur Insafi while the women teams are PKS Uniten-KPT, Blue Warriors, Mutiara Impian and Sabah – and two new teams, Young Tigress and UniKL Ladies.
The Malaysian Hockey Confederation (MHC) had earlier taken measures to run the show under strict guidelines as required by the authorities. They had shortened the league to just one round and decided not to allow spectators.
Did you find this article insightful?