Defending champions Terengganu sink UniKL 4-1 in league

  • Hockey
  • Sunday, 16 Aug 2015

Tenaga player Syed Mohd Syafiq tussles for the ball with Sapura's Mohd Izad Hakimi at the National Hockey Stadium in Bukit Jalil on Sunday.- M. AZHAR ARIF / The Star

KUALA LUMPUR: Double champions Terengganu fought back to snatch a 4-2 win over Universiti Kuala Lumpur (UniKL) in the Premier Division of the Malaysia Hockey League.

The east coast side trailed twice despite enjoying homeground advantage at the Batu Buruk Hockey Stadium in Kuala Terengganu.

Mohamed Sufi Ismat gave UniKL the lead after only 11 minutes but Tengku Ahmad Tajuddin equalised in the 22nd minute.

Raizul Ezry Mustafa again put UniKL in front in the 30th minute, only to see Fitri Saari levelling the score two minutes later.

Tengku Ahmad netted his second goal of the match in the 37th minute for Terengganu to grab the lead for the first time. Ismail Abu then netted in the 60th minute to ensure a comfortable win for Terengganu.

Terengganu coach Sarjit Singh was relieved to get the three points.

“Every match is tough and we have to keep winning. It’s good that the players are able to come back after trailing on two occasions,” said Sarjit.

UniKL coach A. Arulselvaraj was happy with his team’s showing, but felt they could have done a little better to hold off the champions.

“We were good in the early stages, but we were not able to hold off their raids in the later part of the game. That comes with experience. The players are all young and quite a number are from the Project 2016 team. So it is a good learning experience for them. I am happy to get such a quality game,” he said.

Terengganu now have 12 points to remain second as the MHL reached its halfway mark.

Kuala Lumpur Hockey Club (KLHC) remain as leaders after a 3-1 win over winless Maybank at the National Hockey Stadium in Bukit Jalil.

In another match at the National Hockey Stadium, third-placed Sapura kept pace with KLHC and Terengganu by edging Tenaga Nasional 2-1.

Tenaga took the lead in the third minute when Mohamed Amiruddin Zain converted a penalty corner. Sapura had to wait until the 40th minute to get the equaliser, thanks to Mohamed Zulhairi Hashim scoring from a penalty corner.

In the 53rd minute, Tenaga committed a silly mistake in defence and Faridzul Afiq punished them with the winning goal from close range.

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3

Malaysia Hockey League


Did you find this article insightful?


Across the site