MBPJ beat junior ‘bolts’ to climb to second

Shahrul Amin Lazim (left) from Politeknik KPM tussles with BJSS Juniors' Arif Sabron (right) in their Div 2 match at The Ministry of Education stadium on Saturday.

Shahrul Amin Lazim (left) from Politeknik KPM tussles with BJSS Juniors' Arif Sabron (right) in their Div 2 match at The Ministry of Education stadium on Saturday.

KUALA LUMPUR: Petaling Jaya Municipal Council (MBPJ) whipped SSTMI Juniors 4-1 at the Taman Daya Hockey Stadium in Johor Baru to regain second spot in the Division One of the MHC-Milo-NSC Malaysia Junior Hockey League.

It was sweet revenge for MBPJ who were thumped 6-0 by their opponents’ senior team SSTMI-Thunderbolt a day earlier at the same venue.

The PJ side had to come back from a 14th minute goal scored by the homesters’ Mohd Taufik Kamjai before pulling through with goals from Nazirul Mubin Zebidi (26th), Abdul Halim Jalil (47th), Helmi Jaafar (61st) and Faliq Razin Zariq Idris (65th) for a comfortable victory to stay on track for a top-four finish.

Thunderbolt, who had no game on Saturday still lead the standings with nine points while UniKL who were second on Friday dropped to third with six points while MBPJ leapfrogged over them to take second spot, also on nine points.

MBPJ team manager Zainal Abidin Ismail said that the early goal by the SSTMI gave them a jolt but the players responded well to fight back for the big win.

“It was a good performance considering we had a tough match on Friday, not to mention the big defeat to Thunderbolt,” said Zainal.

“The break for the next two weeks will come in handy to iron out our weakness and work on our strategies.

“With two more matches to go we need to stay sharp,” he added.

Their last two matches after the break are against KLSS-KLHC and UniKL.

In another Division One match played at the Sultan Azlan Shah Stadium in Ipoh, Anderson can forget about finishing in the top-four after going down 3-1 to KLSS-KLHC.

Saturday’s win puts KLSS on track for a top-four finish after accumulating four points from three matches.

KLSS’ goals came from Mohamed Khairul Amirin (22nd), Aizad Aiman Hakimi (27th) and Jadveen Singh (62nd) while Anderson’s consolation goal was scored by Mohamed Najme in the 67th minute.

In Division Two, Politeknik KPM recorded their second win in as many days when they thrashed Bukit Jalil Sports School Juniors 5-2 at the Ministry of Education Stadium.

They defeated BJSS 4-1 on Friday and Saturday’s win consolidates their position at the top of the table in Group C.

Meanwhile in Ipoh, Olak-PKT defeated 1MAS Perak 2-1 and are set to top Group B. Despite the victory, an unhappy Olak-PKT team have submitted an official protest regarding the umpire for the match. They claimed that a Selangor umpire was put up for their match when they had written to the technical committee before the tournament started not to have any Selangor officials for their games.

“I had written to MHC not to appoint any Selangor umpire for our matches but it was ignored,” said Olak manager Joseph Silva

“Although we won, the umpire made a hash of things and almost cost us the match. We have officially filed a protest and have paid the protest fee of RM500,” he said.