The Juniors will leave for Australia on Aug 23 and return at the end of the month to prepare for the Sultan of Johor Cup, which is from Sept 19-29.
Malaysian Hockey Confederation (MHC) competitions committee executive Hashim Mohamed Yusof, however, confirmed on Saturday that those players who had been dropped from the tour could play for their respective teams in the Razak Cup.
“I believe the team will be named next week for the Australian tour. Those whose names are on the list cannot play in the Razak Cup, he said.
Hashim also said that entries for the Razak Cup “is still trickling in”.
“We expect most of the states to confirm their entries a day before the closing date, which is Aug 26,” he said.
“Indonesia and Singapore are the only two foreign teams in the fray. We are still awaiting answers from Thailand and Brunei as they are welcomed to play in the tournament.”
The format for the Razak Cup competition will remain the same – a two-tier division.
Meanwhile, the MHC council will meet in Malacca on Sunday and the main agenda is expected to be the long overdue annual general meeting (AGM), which was initially slated for the end of April.
The council are expected to go through the various reports before setting the date for the AGM.
It’s also likely that the council will make a decision on the fate of several affiliates – Selangor, Terengganu, Negri Sembilan and Perak – over the delay in their merger with the women’s association.
The MHC had announced earlier this year that those who had yet to merge their men’s and women’s hockey associations would be dropped from their list of affiliates.
Did you find this article insightful?