NFDP chief Kim Swee says top-level woes will not derail work at grassroots 


Making a difference: Datuk Ong Kim Swee (right) was in charge of the Under-23 squad for the 2017 SEA Games.

PETALING JAYA: Datuk Ong Kim Swee has returned home with a clear mission – to make a difference at a time when Malaysian football is going through a testing period.

The 55-year-old Kim Swee, who has been appointed as the director of the National Football Development Programme ( DP), said answering the call was driven by a simple desire to serve.

“Grassroots football has always been in my blood,” said Kim Swee.

“Given our current situation, this is the best time for us to be fully focused on youth development. When the offer came, I didn’t think twice.”

The Football Association of Malaysia (FAM) have given him the full authority to run DP, including staffing and coaching appointments.

He officially assumed the role on Dec 1, replacing Oscar Francisco Gonzalez, and has signed a three-year contract.

Kim Swee believes his wealth of experience across various roles in Malaysia and abroad will help him to strengthen the development pathway.

He previously served as FAM’s technical director in 2021 before spending three years rebuilding Sabah as coach.

He then broadened his horizons abroad with Indonesian clubs Persis Solo and Persik Kediri, exposure that sharpened his belief in long-term planning over quick fixes.

“We do not know what is going to happen next, and frankly, I don’t want to focus on that,” said Kim Swee, referring to the uncertainty surrounding the national team set-up.

Malaysia are still rocked by a forgery scandal that led to FIFA suspending seven mixed-heritage players and docking Malaysia precious ranking points collected through friendly matches.

The Football Association of Malaysia (FAM) are heading to Court of the Arbitration (CAS) to contest the world body’s decision.

“Whatever happens, we shouldn’t stop our youth programmes. Even in the worst-case scenario, even if there are sanctions, they won’t last forever,” he said.

His stance is clear – external crises must not derail internal development.

“Relying on naturalised and mixed-heritage players is a short-term approach. You cannot depend on that forever. We must focus on our own development programmes. We simply cannot afford to stop.”

Launched in 2014, the DP was designed to create a sustainable pipeline of talent capable of competing internationally.

One of his goals is to prepare a team to qualify for the Under-17 World Cup.

“I’m not going to fixate on formations or philosophy,” he said.

“Between the ages of 13 and 16, the approach must be different. The core principle is player development.

“Our goal isn’t to decide who is right or wrong, but to produce future national players.”

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Football

Soccer-Milan miss out on Champions League as Roma and Como qualify
Soccer-Mamelodi Sundowns claim African Champions League title with draw in Rabat
Soccer-Napoli manager Conte announces departure after securing second place
Soccer-Guardiola says memories and connections, not trophies, define his decade at Man City
Soccer-'It's our time' - Saka says Arsenal proved critics wrong with title triumph
Soccer-West Ham relegated, Arsenal lift Premier League trophy on emotional final day
Soccer-King Salah signs off with assist in emotional Liverpool swansong
Soccer-Sunderland secure European spot with win over Chelsea
Soccer-West Ham relegated as comfortable win over Leeds is in vain
Soccer-Salvation for Tottenham as Palhinha seals victory over Everton

Others Also Read