Soccer - Martial confirms departure from Man Utd


FILE PHOTO: Soccer Football - Premier League - Everton v Manchester United - Goodison Park, Liverpool, Britain - November 26, 2023 Manchester United's Anthony Martial celebrates scoring their third goal REUTERS/Molly Darlington/File Photo

(Reuters) - Manchester United forward Anthony Martial will leave the club when his contract expires at the end of June, the Frenchman said on Monday.

The 28-year-old arrived at Old Trafford from AS Monaco in 2015 and has since scored 90 goals in 317 games for the Red Devils.

The departure was expected, as he had struggled with injuries in recent seasons and had not been in the squad for months.

He not in the team for the 2-1 FA Cup final victory against Manchester City on Saturday.

"It's with great emotion that I write to you today to say goodbye. After nine incredible years at the club, the time has come for me to turn a new page in my career," he said on Instagram.

"You have been an unwavering support, through the good times and the difficult. Your passion and loyalty have been a constant source of motivation for me."

French defender Raphael Varane also stated he would leave United earlier in May.

(Reporting by Tommy Lund in Gdansk; Editing by Christian Radnedge)

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Football

Soccer-Arteta dismisses ‘bottlers’ talk amid title wobble
Soccer-Neymar says he may retire by end of 2026
Kuching brace for intense battle with Selangor in race for second spot
Soccer-Crystal Palace fined over provocative fan banner
Soccer-New boss Tudor '100%' certain Tottenham will avoid relegation from Premier League
Soccer-Carrick sidesteps Ratcliffe immigration row, reinforces Man Utd's values
Soccer-City's Guardiola shrugs off tightening title race, saying 12 games is an eternity
Soccer-Bayern boss Kompany blasts Mourinho over Vinicius racism row response
Soccer-MLS in the spotlight in World Cup year as Messi's Miami begin title defence
Soccer-Turkey detains 32 suspects in widening betting probe, prosecutor's office says

Others Also Read