Soccer - Trabzonspor get six-match spectator ban, two Fenerbahce players suspended over brawl


Soccer Football - Fenerbahce's Extraordinary General Assembly - Sukru Saracoglu Stadium, Istanbul, Turkey - April 2, 2024 General view of Fenerbahce chairman Ali Koc and club staff inside the stadium during the general assembly REUTERS/Umit Bektas

ANKARA (Reuters) - Trabzonspor will play their next six home matches without spectators while two Fenerbahce players have been handed one-match bans over a post-game brawl last month, the Turkish Football Federation (TFF) ruled on Wednesday.

Trabzonspor supporters stormed the pitch and fought with security forces and Fenerbahce players after their team suffered a 3-2 home defeat at Papara Park, the latest in a number of incidents that have dogged the Turkish league this season.

Fenerbahce said they were considering withdrawing from the top-tier Super Lig over the incident but decided not to go through with the threat at an extraordinary club congress on Tuesday.

On Wednesday, the TFF's disciplinary council (PFDK) ruled that Trabzonspor will play their next six home matches behind closed doors over the brawl and imposed a fine of three million Turkish lira ($93,899.65) and other punitive measures.

It also banned Trabzonspor coach Egemen Korkmaz from the dressing room and bench for one match.

Fenerbahce defender Bright Osayi-Samuel, who was attacked by a fan on the field and was seen fighting the spectator, was not given a penalty.

However, the PFDK also decided that Fenerbahce's Irfan Can Egribayat and Jayden Quinn Oosterwolde would each be banned for one match and given minor fines over their involvement in the on-field brawl.

Fenerbahce, who won their 19th league title in 2014 and are Turkey's second most decorated team, are in second place after 30 games - five points behind main rivals Galatasaray who have a game on hand. Fenerbahce host Adana Demirspor on Wednesday.

($1 = 31.9490 liras)

(Reporting by Tuvan Gumrukcu; Editing by Ken Ferris)

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Football

Soccer-Crystal Palace fined over provocative fan banner
Soccer-New boss Tudor '100%' certain Tottenham will avoid relegation from Premier League
Soccer-Carrick sidesteps Ratcliffe immigration row, reinforces Man Utd's values
Soccer-City's Guardiola shrugs off tightening title race, saying 12 games is an eternity
Soccer-Bayern boss Kompany blasts Mourinho over Vinicius racism row response
Soccer-MLS in the spotlight in World Cup year as Messi's Miami begin title defence
Soccer-Turkey detains 32 suspects in widening betting probe, prosecutor's office says
Soccer-Perfect start for Pereira as Forest enjoy record win at Fenerbahce
Coach Hazman wants quick response from Terengganu after Malaysia Cup blow
Proud Munoz salutes JDT’s fighting spirit in ACLE triumph

Others Also Read