Soccer-Genoa's Portanova sentenced to six years for gang rape


FILE PHOTO: Soccer Football - Serie A - Genoa v Atalanta - Stadio Comunale Luigi Ferraris, Genoa, Italy - December 21, 2021 Genoa's Manolo Portanova in action with Atalanta's Berat Djimsiti REUTERS/Jennifer Lorenzini

ROME (Reuters) - Genoa midfielder Manolo Portanova has been sentenced to six years in jail for involvement in the gang rape of a young woman last year, Italian media reported on Tuesday.

Portanova, now 22, was initially placed under house arrest in June last year after being charged for the incident in the central city of Siena in May 2021.

Media reports said Portanova's lawyers would appeal against the sentence handed down in a summary judgement.

A source, not authorised to speak to media, told Reuters last year that the 23-year-old woman informed police she had been raped by four men in an apartment after dinner at a restaurant on May 31.

Portanova, whose uncle was sentenced to the same term under the fast-track legal process, had denied the charges against him.

One of the accused opted for a full jury trial while a fourth was a minor at the time and is due to appear before a youth tribunal in Florence, media said.

Genoa, established in 1893 and Italy's oldest soccer club, were relegated from Serie A last season and are now fifth in Serie B.

(Reporting by Alan Baldwin in London, editing by Ken Ferris)

Article type: free
User access status:
Subscribe now to our Premium Plan for an ad-free and unlimited reading experience!
   

Next In Football

Soccer-Nottingham Forest sign Ghana captain Ayew
Soccer-Leeds striker Rodrigo sidelined for two months
Soccer-Dyche hopes to be Everton's 'heartbeat' to pull club out of relegation zone
Soccer-Mbappe to miss Champions League clash with Bayern Munich due to injury
Soccer-Man United's Greenwood has all charges against him dropped
Soccer-France defender Varane retires from international football
Soccer-Dyche faces daunting start as ailing Everton host Arsenal
Soccer-League Cup final first in 35 years to allow safe standing
Soccer-World Cup ambassador says Saudi sponsorship would be 'disempowering' for women
Soccer-Bayern coach Nagelsmann praises Cancelo's creativity in debut

Others Also Read