PETALING JAYA: Premier League outfit Perak can start planning to win promotion back to the top flight Super League.
Perak, one of the oldest state football bodies in the country, received a big boost yesterday after FIFA lifted their transfer ban.
Perak were sanctioned by FIFA earlier this season after failing to settle debts amounting to RM1.7mil, which involved salary claims by former key players as well as payments to players’ agents.
Perak’s financial trouble led to them being docked nine points by the Malaysian Football League (MFL) in April for failing to settle their players’ wages and arrears.
Perak are currently bottom of the 10-team Premier League standings with a three-point deficit after nine matches.
But the Seladang looked to have turned over a corner as their new owners XOX Berhad have settled the arrears and put the team back on track financially after FIFA confirmed that the debts had been cleared.
Perak chairman Datuk Seri Abdul Azim Mohd Zabidi in a media statement said that the 2018 Malaysia Cup champions are now free to sign players.
“I need to thank the FA of Malaysia (FAM) and MFL for their assistance and guidance,” he said.
“It was our main priority to get the club to register calibre players.
“Unfortunately, we had to play the first half of the season with limited squad and points docking.
“This shows our commitment to ensure Perak could keep their 101-year history and step forward for more success in the future.
“We also must not forget the effort of our junior players who had given their best in the first half of the season.”
Perak will test three imports – Stipe Plazibat from Croatia, Argentinian Luciano Guaycochea and Nigerian Sunday Kolawole Afolabi – in a friendly match against Christian Seoul University at the Perak Stadium in Ipoh this Sunday.