Soccer-Balotelli named in Italy squad for first time since 2018


ROME (Reuters) - Mario Balotelli was named in the Italy squad for the first time since 2018 on Monday, as the Adana Demirspor striker joined seven uncapped players in Roberto Mancini's 35-man training camp selection.

Balotelli, who worked under Azzurri coach Mancini earlier in his career at Inter Milan and Manchester City, has not featured for the national team since September 2018.

But the 31-year-old earned a recall for this week's three-day training camp after scoring eight goals in 18 league games to fire Adana Demirspor to fourth place in the Turkish Super Lig.

It will be one of Mancini’s final opportunities to get his players together before their FIFA World Cup play-off semi-final against North Macedonia on March 24. The winners of that match will face Portugal or Turkey for a place in Qatar.

Balotelli starred in Italy’s run to the Euro 2012 final, memorably scoring twice and ripping off his shirt in a 2-1 semi-final win over Germany.

He has a record of 14 goals in 36 games for his country, but has earned only three caps since the 2014 World Cup.

Italy’s first-choice striker Ciro Immobile scored twice during their triumphant Euro 2020 campaign last summer.

But the Lazio man’s performances for the Azzurri have not always impressed, leading to a long-running debate over whether Balotelli should be brought back into the fold.

Brazil-born Joao Pedro of Cagliari and Luiz Felipe of Lazio earn their first call-ups.

They will be joined by five uncapped youngsters: Cremonese goalkeeper Marco Carnesecchi, Atalanta defender Giorgio Scalvini and midfielders Davide Frattesi, Samuele Ricci and Nicolo Fagioli of Sassuolo, Empoli and Cremonese respectively.

(Reporting by Alasdair Mackenzie; editing by Clare Fallon)

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 46
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
Join our Telegram channel to get our Evening Alerts and breaking news highlights
   

Next In Football

Soccer - Guardiola took my game to the next level, says Man City's Fernandinho
Soccer - Liverpool boss Klopp says no pressure in quadruple chase
Soccer - PSG's Di Maria to leave the French champions at season's end
Soccer-Liverpool still hoping to complete quadruple, says Salah
Brad’s gallant Harimau Muda can hold their heads high
Determined Azam will run and run for the bronze
Pan-gon calls up Ruventhiran and Shahrul
Soccer-FA investigating pitch invasions, condemns 'anti-social behaviour' from fans
Soccer-Everything up for grabs on final day as City close in on sixth title
Soccer-RedBird frontrunner for AC Milan deal after Investcorp hits pause

Others Also Read