Soccer-French federation promises to act quickly after Paris FC v Lyon trouble


FILE PHOTO: Noel le Graet, head of the French soccer Federation (FFF), attends a news conference after the governing body's first Executive Football Summit in Roissy, France, November 23, 2016. REUTERS/Charles Platiau/File Photo

PARIS (Reuters) - French federation president Noel Le Graet has said "quick decisions" will be made after Friday's French Cup game between Paris FC and Olympique Lyonnais was abandoned nL1N2T23E5 over crowd trouble.

The episode, which saw supporters fighting and some of them coming onto the field to throw flares at each other at halftime, is the latest in a series of incidents that has been marring French football this season.

"It's disastrous for football. It's shameful and very sad to see that a nice French Cup match in Paris can degenerate like this," Le Graet was quoted as saying by French sports daily L'Equipe on Saturday.

"Now, the responsibilities will be established on Monday. I have put all our teams on this case. They will study all the reports. We must know who these madmen are and where they come from.

"Yesterday (Friday), were there enough people for security? Was it well secured? It is not for me to answer. The federation officials are working and decisions will be made quickly."

Lyon fans appeared to be the most violent but president Jean-Michel Aulas refused to accept his club should bear all the responsibility.

"I don't exactly know what happened. We can't blame only our fans. There was a chain of events ... I'm waiting to find out what really happened," he said.

Lyon were docked one point nL1N2ST26T in Ligue 1 after their home game against Olympique de Marseille was abandoned last month when Marseille forward Dimitri Payet had been hit by a bottle thrown from the stands.

The violent episodes in French stadiums prompted the government to announce on Thursday that games will be abandoned nL8N2T13O6 if a player or a referee is injured by a projectile thrown from the stands.

Among other measures, the government said a decision on whether to abandon a game after any crowd incident would be taken within a maximum of 30 minutes after it occurred.

It also pledged to uphold more stringent stadium bans imposed on violent supporters.

Nice were docked two points nL1N2QA343, one of them suspended, after serious incidents during their game in August against Marseille, when visiting players clashed with home fans who pelted them with missiles and stormed on to the pitch.

The northern derby between RC Lens and Lille was hit by crowd problems in September, with the start of the second half delayed after rival fans threw objects at each other before people ran on to the pitch, prompting riot police and stewards to intervene.

There has also been crowd trouble in Montpellier, Angers, Marseille and St Etienne.

(Reporting by Julien Pretot; Editing by Ken Ferris)

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
Join our Telegram channel to get our Evening Alerts and breaking news highlights
   

Next In Football

Soccer-Liverpool hit post in goalless first half against Real Madrid
Soccer-Real Madrid stun Liverpool 1-0 to clinch Champions League title
Soccer-Fabinho and Thiago return for Liverpool, Alaba back for Real Madrid
Soccer-Western Utd dethrone Melbourne City to take Australian title
FACTBOX-Soccer-Champions of Australia's A-League
Soccer-Liverpool to play for Ukraine people in Champions League final, Klopp says
Soccer-Departing Cavani wanted more goals with United fans in the stands
Soccer-Ancelotti hoping Real's best will be enough to beat Liverpool
Soccer-Liverpool under pressure to beat Real in Champions League final
Soccer-Thiago and Fabinho fit and ready for Champions League final, Klopp says

Others Also Read