Soccer-FIFA's Infantino seeks consensus over World Cup plans


FILE PHOTO: FIFA President Gianni Infantino visits Venezuela - Universidad central de Venezuela stadium - Caracas, Venezuela - October 15, 2021 FIFA President Gianni Infantino attends a news conference REUTERS/Leonardo Fernandez Viloria

MANCHESTER, England (Reuters) - FIFA president Gianni Infantino said on Wednesday he wanted to seek consensus over plans for a biennial World Cup and changes to the international match calendar after facing fierce criticism from European federations.

FIFA's ruling council agreed to hold a global summit on Dec. 20 to discuss the proposals for a World Cup to be held every two years rather than every four years.

However, Infantino did not commit to hold a binding vote on the plans -- after UEFA president Aleksander Ceferin warned against it, saying there would be "terrible consequences for football in general" if he pushed ahead.

FIFA will now wait for the results of a feasibility study and also an economic analysis of the financial impact of the extra World Cup, which are expected to be delivered before the summit.

A meeting between 'technical groups' of FIFA and UEFA is also scheduled for next week.

Ceferin has said UEFA would boycott an additional World Cup and his opposition to the plan has been echoed by European clubs and leagues.

Infantino noted the debate had been "heated" but said that it was a sign of change within FIFA that such a wide-ranging consultation was being held.

"We will continue with the objective of reaching a consensus with solutions that work for everyone’s benefit. By hosting a global summit later this year, we will now have the opportunity to present one plan and to provide feedback to all our FIFA member associations," said Infantino.

There was, however, no strong attempt to sell the idea of a biennial World Cup from Infantino, who instead emphasised that his role was to listen to all viewpoints.

"We have to see how we can approach the different opinions of different parties," Infantino told a news conference.

“We need to look at sporting and economic merits, then we can have a reasoned discussion about World Cups and perhaps other competitions. I do not know what the outcome will be," he said.

FIFA will hold its next full congress in Doha, Qatar on March 31, ahead of the draw for the finals of the 2022 World Cup in the Gulf country.

The council also decided that the Club World Cup, which was planned to be held in Japan in 2021 but which was postponed due to the COVID-19 pandemic, will be held in the United Arab Emirates in early 2022.

(Reporting by Simon Evans; Editing by Toby Davis)

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 46
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
Join our Telegram channel to get our Evening Alerts and breaking news highlights
   

Next In Football

Exclusive-Soccer-FIFA vice-president Montagliani offers compromise on World Cup plan
Soccer-Atletico win Brazilian league for first time in 50 years
Soccer-Carrick leaves Man United after Arsenal win
Soccer-Conte philosophy starts to rub off on Tottenham
Soccer-Ronaldo doubles up to sink Arsenal and pass 800-goal mark
Soccer-Tottenham into top six with smooth win over Brentford
Soccer-Wigan's Wyke thanks boss Richardson for 'saving his life' after cardiac arrest
Soccer-Bundesliga attendances reduced amid new COVID-19 measures
Eldstal not losing sleep over role switch
Cup win makes it a double joy for KL physio Renesh

Others Also Read


Vouchers