Soccer-Newcastle still winless after draw at Watford

Soccer Football - Premier League - Watford v Newcastle United - Vicarage Road, Watford, Britain - September 25, 2021 Watford's Ismaila Sarr scores their first goal Action Images via Reuters/Andrew Boyers

WATFORD, England (Reuters) -Newcastle United's wait for a first Premier League win of the season continued as Ismaila Sarr pounced to earn Watford a 1-1 draw in a lively clash at Vicarage Road on Saturday.

While Newcastle's performance had much to admire it was a result that will do nothing to ease the pressure on manager Steve Bruce whose side sit just above the relegation zone.

"In the first half alone we should have been three or four goals in front," said midfielder Sean Longstaff, who gave Newcastle a deserved 23rd-minute lead.

"We had a lot of very good chances, more than we'll create in most games, and it is very disappointing to come away with only a point. It was the best we've played this season."

Newcastle fans chanted against Bruce and owner Mike Ashley in the opening stages but they were cheering when Allan Saint-Maximin found Longstaff from a corner and the midfielder curled an unstoppable effort past Ben Foster.

Watford had chances to score either side of Longstaff's opener, with Karl Darlow keeping out Emmanuel Dennis and Sarr.

Longstaff wasted a great chance to double Newcastle's lead, firing over the crossbar just before halftime after Saint-Maximin latched on to a poor back pass.

Newcastle pushed to find a second goal after the break with the impressive Foster denying Joelinton, Miguel Almiron and Joe Willock.

Bruce's side were unable to hold on to their lead, however, and Josh King and Sarr linked up to bring the hosts level on 72 minutes.

King's flick-on from Danny Rose's corner found Sarr in space at the back post and the Senegalese international powered a header past Darlow.

King almost grabbed a late winner but his close-range finish was ruled out for offside after a VAR check.

Despite another winless weekend, results elsewhere meant that Newcastle edged up to 17th in the table with three points, with Sarr's rescue act keeping Watford in 11th with seven points.

The game was noteworthy for the fact that the referee was Australian Jarred Gillett -- the first overseas referee to take charge of a Premier League fixture.

(Reporting by Feargal Brennan, editing by Martyn Herman and Clare Fallon)

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 46
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
Join our Telegram channel to get our Evening Alerts and breaking news highlights

Next In Football

Soccer-Police say no offence caused by banner at Palace critical of Newcastle deal
Soccer-'We need to win ugly more' - coach Pioli plays down AC Milan title talk
Soccer-Pressure mounts on Solskjaer after Liverpool debacle
Soccer-Serie A weekend talking points
Football: Harimau Muda off to winning start in AFC U23 Asian Cup qualifiers
Soccer-'I do believe in myself': Solskjaer says after Liverpool thrashing
Soccer-Firmino delivers 'false nine' masterclass, says Klopp
Soccer-United fans deserve better, says Ronaldo, after drubbing by Liverpool
Soccer-Barcelona condemn 'violent' acts Koeman faced after Real Madrid defeat
Soccer-Atletico extend lead at top of Brazil's Serie A

Others Also Read