Super League club executives resign from Premier League committees


FILE PHOTO: Soccer Football - Carabao Cup - Semi Final Second Leg - Manchester City v Manchester United - Etihad Stadium, Manchester, Britain - January 29, 2020 Manchester United executive vice-chairman Ed Woodward in the stands before the match REUTERS/Phil Noble

(Reuters) - Executives from five of the six English clubs involved in the controversial breakaway European Super League have resigned from their posts on various Premier League committees, Sky Sports reported on Thursday.

Chelsea chairman Bruce Buck, Manchester United executive vice chairman Ed Woodward, Liverpool chairman Tom Werner, Arsenal chief executive Vinai Venkatesham and Manchester City chief executive Ferran Soriano have stepped down from their roles.

Tottenham Hotspur, who were also involved in forming the Super League, do not have representation on the league's committees.

Woodward, who will also leave his position at United at the end of the year, has resigned from the Premier League's Club Broadcast Advisory Group, along with Werner.

Venkatesham and Soriano have left the Club Strategic Advisory Group, while Buck is no longer part of the league's Audit and Remuneration Committee.

Former Premier League executive chairman Richard Scudamore said earlier on Thursday he believed there would be have to be consequences for clubs who were founder members of the ill-fated Super League.

The resignations are the first of these and the six clubs will now wait to see if any further action will be taken against them, though what form this could take is unclear with the Premier League sides reportedly studying which rules of the organisation may have been broken with the breakaway proposal.

Those wishing to play in the Super League had hoped it would increase revenues to the top clubs and allow them to distribute more money to the rest of the game.

However, the sport’s governing bodies and fan organisations criticised the venture, arguing it would increase the power and wealth of the elite clubs in a 'closed shop' competition that would see them compete every year without the need to qualify.

Within 48 hours of league being announced, the English sides withdrew due to the fierce backlash they received from fans, their own players, politicians and the 14 other Premier League clubs.

(Reporting by Rohith Nair in Bengaluru and Nick Said in Cape Town; editing by Pritha Sarkar)

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 46
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
   

Next In Football

Soccer-Intricate free kick move helps Colombia beat Ecuador
Soccer-Messi confesses to worrying about contracting COVID-19
Analysis-Soccer-Risky business for De Boer brings reward for Netherlands
Soccer-Late Dumfries header secures Dutch win after Ukraine fightback
Analysis-Soccer-Alaba quality bails out Austria but raises questions about his best role
Soccer-Dutch team shocked by Eriksen collapse, coach De Boer says
Soccer-Fan in 'serious condition' after fall from stands at Wembley
Soccer-Luis Enrique urges all Spain players to be leaders against Sweden
Soccer-Evergreen Pandev scores North Macedonia’s first major tournament goal
Trust young Arif to strike it right against Thai after promising debut

Stories You'll Enjoy


Vouchers