Newcastle training ground to remain shut after COVID-19 outbreak - Sky Sports


(Reuters) - Newcastle United players have been told to stay away from the training ground after an outbreak of COVID-19 at the club, Sky Sports reported on Tuesday.

Five individuals at the club have tested positive for COVID-19 so far -- three prior to Newcastle's 2-0 win over Crystal Palace last week and two more over the weekend.

Sky Sports said Newcastle's training ground was closed on Monday and is set to be closed on Tuesday as well as they assess the situation. The club did not immediately respond to a Reuters request for comment.

The Premier League said on Monday that there were 10 new positives from the tests conducted between Nov. 23-29 but did not name the clubs or the individuals.

Newcastle players such as Allan Saint-Maximin, Andy Carroll, Jamaal Lascelles, Ryan Fraser and Isaac Hayden did not play at Palace but the club has not confirmed if they were injured or self-isolating after testing positive.

Newcastle are scheduled to play Aston Villa on Friday and if they can name 14 players in the squad, the game will go ahead according to the Premier League's COVID-19 protocols.

(Reporting by Rohith Nair in Bengaluru; Editing by Christian Radnedge)

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 18
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
   

Did you find this article insightful?

Yes
No

Next In Football

Everton's Ancelotti defends Pickford after error
Man United's back-up options fail to deliver for Solskjaer
Brighton will get stronger despite tough times, says Potter
Pickford mistake earns Leicester point at Everton
Man United stunned by home loss to bottom club Sheffield United
Juventus crush SPAL to set up Inter tie, Atalanta edge Lazio
Messi leads Barca to Copa comeback win over Rayo
After surreal week, Tuchel's Chelsea era starts quietly
Brighton frustrated in goalless draw with Fulham
Goal-shy Udinese sign veteran striker Llorente from Napoli

Stories You'll Enjoy


-->