PETALING JAYA: The Malaysian Football League (MFL) have decided to pull the plug on the Malaysia Cup.The government had earlier announced that the competition will be postponed until further notice due to the rising number of Covid-19 cases in the country.
However, the MFL said postponing the Cup ties is not feasible as players’ contracts end this month.
And if it resumed at a later date, teams will be left without players to compete.
The MFL president Datuk Hamidin Mohd Amin said the M-League operators will make an official statement today.
“Frankly we have no choice but to call off the tournament.
“The financial implications are just too big.
“We are devastated by the government’s decision, ” said Hamidin who is also the Football Association of Malaysia (FAM) president.
The truncated M-League resumed on Aug 22 and the shortened Malaysia Cup competition started with the first round last Friday.
It is learnt that the MFL and FAM have submitted a detailed plan to the National Security Council to finish the remaining seven matches to be played in states not under the controlled movement control order.
They have identified Kota Baru and Kuantan as the two possible locations.
Did you find this article insightful?
85% readers found this article insightful