Striker Barbosa pens permanent deal with Flamengo


  • Football
  • Tuesday, 28 Jan 2020

FILE PHOTO: Soccer Football - Copa Libertadores - Final - Flamengo v River Plate - Monumental Stadium, Lima, Peru - November 23, 2019 Flamengo's Gabriel Barbosa celebrates scoring their second goal REUTERS/Guadalupe Pardo/File Photo

(Reuters) - Flamengo will hold on to loan signing Gabriel Barbosa after the prolific striker agreed a permanent deal from Italian side Inter Milan, the player and the Brazilian club said on Tuesday.

Barbosa, who scored both the goals that helped Flamengo beat River Plate 2-1 and win the Copa Libertadores in November, signed a reported five-year deal for around 17 million euros ($18.86 million).

"If it's for the good of the (Flamengo) nation, I'll stay," the 23-year-old Barbosa said on Instagram.

The former Santos player was the top goalscorer in both the Libertadores and Brazil's first division last year and a key player in Flamengo's most successful season since Brazilian great Zico played for the club in the early 1980s.

(Reporting by Andrew Downie; Editing by Christian Radnedge)

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
   

Did you find this article insightful?

Yes
No

Across The Star Online