Cheng Hoe takes deserved break for CNY


  • Football
  • Friday, 16 Feb 2018

PETALING JAYA: National coach Tan Cheng Hoe is taking a deserved break to celebrate the Chinese New Year with his family.

He had put his job above the celebration for the last eight years.

Instead of spending time with his family, the man had kept himself busy scouting for players during his stint as the national team assistant coach (2009-2013) and the Kedah’s head coach (2014-2017).

The former international said he was still focused in preparing the national team then but this time, he would get a chance to attend the reunion dinner.

“Usually, I’ll miss the reunion dinner due to work commitments but this year I’m glad to be with the family,” said the former international yesterday.

“The job of a national coach is different from coaching the M-League teams.”

Cheng Hoe said the centralised training camp will begin on March 18 at Wisma FAM.

It will be followed by a friendly match against Mongolia at the National Stadium in Bukit Jalil on March 22 before they leave for Beirut to play against Lebanon in the Asian Cup qualifier final on March 27.

The 50-year-old Cheng Hoe said he had been scouting for players for the national team call-up.

“I’ve been going around scouting for players in the M-League with my coaching staff but the season is still very early with only three matches played and I believe that more time is needed for the players to show their real abilities.”

“The team are slowly picking up pace. We’ll have a clearer picture on who to call up for the national team centralised training camp after a few more matches.”

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3

Sport , tch

   

Did you find this article insightful?

Yes
No

Across the site