LONDON: A former Newcastle player added his name to a growing list of ex-footballers in England who said they had suffered sexual abuse during their time in the sport.
David Eatock broke his silence as it emerged that more than a quarter of the UK’s regional police forces were looking into allegations of historic child sex abuse within football.
Eatock, signed by Newcastle when Kevin Keegan was manager of the northeast club, said he was older than the majority of victims who have come forward since former Crewe Alexandra player Andy Woodward revealed a fortnight ago he was abused by convicted child molester Barry Bennell in the 1980s.
The now 40-year-old Eatock said he had been a victim of former youth coach George Ormond, who was sentenced to six years in 2002 for a string of offences committed over almost 25 years.
“One of the more difficult parts for me is that I wasn’t as young as some of the others,” Eatock told the Guardian newspaper.
“I was 18 when I got to know George Ormond. I can still remember the look on his face, how terrifying it was, and how his eyes were possessed.”
He added: “I’m just glad Andy Woodward, by speaking out, has given me the strength to do this because I never would have otherwise. It has been like a knot in my brain and I’m now trying to pick apart that knot.”
Tuesday saw Bennell, also a former youth coach, charged with eight counts of child abuse, prosecutors said.
Bennell, who has already served three jail terms for previous child sex offences, has faced a slew of new allegations by at least 20 former footballers spanning three decades beginning in the 1970s when he was working for Crewe Alexandra, Manchester City and Stoke.
Bennell, who it was revealed on Monday had to be hospitalised when he was found unconscious in a hotel near London, will appear in court on Dec 14.
Essex and Norfolk Police are the latest forces to confirm they are investigating abuse claims within football, taking the current tally to 13. — AFP
Did you find this article insightful?