Stop the sacking spree: Football Coaches Association


  • Football
  • Monday, 03 Aug 2015

Football Coaches Association of Malaysia (FCAM) president B. Sathianathan.

PETALING JAYA: Football Coaches Association of Malaysia (FCAM) president B. Sathianathan wants M-League teams to think twice before sacking their coaches.

Sathia was one of the seven Super League coaches to be fired or told to take ‘garden leave’ this season. The others were Police’s Azman Adnan, Robert Alberts of Sarawak, Terengganu’s Abdul Rahman Ibrahim, Kelantan’s George Boateng and Mohd Azraai Khor, and Johor Darul Ta’zim’s (JDT) Bojan Hodak.

Since then, three former Kelantan coaches have hauled up the state association to the Football Association of Malaysia (FAM) for non-payment of salary.

Last week, the FAM ordered the Kelantan Football Association (Kafa) to pay former coach Steve Darby RM636,000 in compensation. The Englishman was relieved from his post six months into his two-year contract in 2014 but Kafa failed to settle the compensation.

Kelantan are in trouble again with Azraai and former fitness coach Miro Petric (2012-2014) claiming the east coast side have not settled their dues.

Sathia said that “the M-League sides are setting unreasonable targets” for the coaches.

“The people in charge need to respect the coaches’ contracts. Some think that they are the boss and can fire people just like that but it’s not that simple,” said Sathia.

“The team administrators need to read and understand the contracts. There are compensations involved when you sack your coach, so make sure you honour the terms in the contracts.

“Set reasonable target. If your budget is a quarter of what cash-rich Johor Darul Ta’zim (JDT) have, don’t set a target of winning everything in the M-League. Be realistic with the target and build on from there for the future,” added Sathia.

Sathia also revealed that he was asked to take over as Forces coach for the rest of the season.

Last week, the FAM said the “rest” status issued by Forces on him was null and void. The former national coach was told to take a rest in April by the Forces management after a string of poor results.

“The Forces management called me today (yesterday) to take over the team, but I told them I will wait for their official letter before taking the next course of action,” said Sathia.

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
   

Did you find this article insightful?

Yes
No

Across The Star Online