Cricket-Paine 'devastated' by Pucovski blow, backs Harris to open


FILE PHOTO: Cricket - Ashes 2019 - Fifth Test - England v Australia - Kia Oval, London, Britain - September 15, 2019 Australia's Tim Paine hits a four Action Images via Reuters/Andrew Boyers

MELBOURNE (Reuters) - Australia test captain Tim Paine was "devastated" to hear of Will Pucovski's latest concussion but has nominated Marcus Harris to step in should the opener prove unfit for the Ashes.

Pucovski was struck on the helmet by a ball in a net session while training for Victoria last week.

Pucovski's history of concussion problems could mean the young opener is sidelined for at least part of the Ashes series, which starts on Dec. 8 in Brisbane.

"I've spoken to him a bit the last few days. He is improving slowly," Paine said on radio station SEN Hobart.

"I don't think it's as bad as some of the others he's had before but with his history we have to be very careful with anything around the brain.

"I was devastated to hear it's happened again."

Australia have long hoped Pucovski might blossom into a regular opening partner for David Warner, who has seen a procession of team mates come and go since Chris Rogers played his last test against England in 2015.

But concussions and injuries have repeatedly thwarted Pucovski.

He made his long-awaited test debut against India in Sydney in January but suffered a shoulder injury in the match and was replaced by Harris for the fourth test in Brisbane.

Paine said there was no problem with Pucovski's technique despite him suffering a number of blows to the head.

"He's a good player of the short ball, you don't average 54 or so in first-class cricket if you can't play the short ball," Paine said.

"I think he's now more susceptible (to concussion) than other people. He doesn't need to be hit as hard on his head."

Harris, who has been dropped twice in his 10-test career, averaged 9.66 against England during the 2019 Ashes but Paine endorsed the 29-year-old as a likely replacement for Pucovski.

"He’s just come back from a superb six months in England playing for Leicestershire in county cricket," he added.

"And we know his first class record for Victoria has been excellent for some time now, so he's probably the frontrunner."

(Reporting by Ian Ransom; Editing by Peter Rutherford)

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 46
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
Join our Telegram channel to get our Evening Alerts and breaking news highlights
   

Next In Cricket

Cricket-World's oldest test player Ash dies at 110
Cricket-India bundle out New Zealand for 62 in first innings
Cricket-India test, ODI tour of South Africa to go ahead without T20s
Cricket-Perfect 10! New Zealand's Ajaz spins his way into elite club
Cricket-Langer won't rule out return for former captain Paine
Cricket-Cummins will be 'fine' as Australia captain, says coach Langer
Cricket-India in command despite New Zealand spinner Ajaz's rare feat
Cricket-Yorkshire say all members of coaching team have left the club
Cricket-England's Broad relishing Gabba experience ahead of Ashes opener
Cricket-Mendis, Embuldeniya spin Sri Lanka to 2-0 series win over West Indies

Others Also Read


Vouchers