World Cup sacrifice worth it for battling Wood


  • Cricket
  • Monday, 20 Jan 2020

Cricket - South Africa v England - Third Test - St George's Park, Port Elizabeth, South Africa - January 17, 2020 England's Mark Wood in action REUTERS/Siphiwe Sibeko

PORT ELIZABETH (Reuters) - Fast bowler Mark Wood said he has no regrets about aggravating a knee injury during England's triumphant showing at last year’s World Cup final, even though it sidelined him for six months.

Wood, who hurt his left knee and suffered a side strain during the victory over New Zealand at Lord's in July, returned to the England line-up for the third test against South Africa.

“I had three balls left and every ball I bowled it got worse. I knew it was pretty bad then, but it was the World Cup final, it’s your dream game and I didn’t want to limp off. So I got through those last three balls,” said Wood.

After undergoing surgery, he ended up missing the Ashes as he was out of competitive action until this week’s test in Port Elizabeth.

“It was absolutely a risk worth taking. I wouldn’t swap it for anything. To be a World Cup winner, I’d take that any day of the week. Even if I didn’t play another game of test cricket I’ve got that to look back on with great memories, the pinnacle of my career,” said Wood.

Wood made his presence felt quickly as he came in at number 11 and scored a breathtaking 42 runs off just 23 balls, including five sixes, as England declared on 499 for nine in their first innings.

“Absolutely loved it. I got 50 in New Zealand (in 2018) and the fact that you get 50 is great, but that (against South Africa) was great fun. I was just having a go.”

Wood bowled for the first time in a test in 11 months and worked up some furious pace but did not take a first innings wicket.

But he clean bowled opener Dean Elgar as South Africa began their follow-on and then snagged Zubayr Hamza to begin the home team’s second innings slump.

Wood also took a difficult catch to dismiss South Africa danger man Quinton de Kock to put England on the brink of victory

But he said he was not sure with an aching body whether he would be fit for the final test in Johannesburg, which starts on Friday, also given Jofra Archer is expected back in the England line-up.

“Since I've been out of the team all I’ve done is concentrate on myself, trying get myself in the best place," he said.

(Editing by Pritha Sarkar)

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
Join our Telegram channel to get our Evening Alerts and breaking news highlights
   

Next In Cricket

Cricket-'Boyhood dreams': Wicketkeeper Carey confirmed for Ashes
Factbox-Cricket-India v New Zealand, second test
Cricket-Captain Kohli returns as India ponder combination against New Zealand
Cricket-Man Utd co-chairman Glazer buys UAE T20 franchise
Cricket-New Zealand have self-belief to upset India, says spinner Patel
Cricket: South Africa captain Bavuma confident in board's COVID protocols
Cricket: Melbourne joins clamour to replace Perth if Ashes test moved
Cricket-Australia's Green welcomes step up for 'world class' Carey
Cricket: Leach sniffs Ashes chance with Stokes return
Cricket-Bangalore retain Kohli, Dhoni stays with Chennai in IPL

Others Also Read


Vouchers