Smith and Warner can fire Australia to World Cup glory - Warne


FILE PHOTO: Former Australian cricket vice-captain David Warner arrives at Cape Town International Airport, South Africa March 27, 2018. REUTERS/Sumaya Hisham

(Reuters) - Australia will welcome back Steve Smith and David Warner with "open arms" when their international bans expire and their inclusion will boost the team's chances of winning this year's World Cup, former leg-spinner Shane Warne has said.

Smith and Warner were suspended for 12 months for their roles in a ball-tampering scandal in South Africa last year and can return to top-level cricket at the end of the month.

While the bans end in time for the pair to play the final two one-day internationals of the five-match series against Pakistan, neither was included in the squad as they are both recovering from recent elbow surgery.

"I think Smith and Warner will be accepted with open arms. They have done their time. They are not bad people, they just made a bad mistake," Warne, who claimed 708 wickets for Australia in 145 tests, told Sky Sports.

"When you have got that sort of class as a cricketer, they will go straight back into the World Cup squad."

World champions Australia picked up a 3-2 ODI series win in India, gathering momentum in time for the May 30-July 14 World Cup in England and Wales.

"The way Australia are playing at the moment, I wouldn't write them off and I think they can win the World Cup," Warne added.

"They just beat India in the T20 series and to chase 360 in India without Smith and Warner is an ominous sign for the rest of the World Cup competition."

(Reporting by Hardik Vyas in Bengaluru; editing by Sudipto Ganguly)

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 46
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
   

Next In Cricket

Cricket-England batting collapse leaves New Zealand in driving seat in second test
Cricket-S.Africa seal innings win as Rabada rips through Windies
Cricket-ECB to review players' social media after Robinson's racist, sexist posts
Cricket-De Kock's unbeaten ton puts S.Africa on top in first Windies test
Cricket-Conway and Young put NZ in charge against England at Edgbaston
Cricket-Hundred experience will boost India women's World Cup hopes - BCCI
Cricket-Australia's Warner, Stoinis pull out of The Hundred
Cricket-Burns, Lawrence keep England afloat against New Zealand
Cricket-Dhawan to lead second-string India on Sri Lanka tour
Cricket-England's Robinson to take break after storm over racist, sexist posts

Stories You'll Enjoy


Vouchers