Held at the KL Football Stadium in Cheras the first week of March, some 80 junior walkers from schools around the Klang Valley and Sekolah Sukan Malaysia Pahang took part in the event.
RWAM deputy president Khoo Chong Beng said they were pleased with the good turnout despite the Covid-19 outbreak.
“It is worth noting that four new records were achieved during the first leg of this programme, which was quite unexpected.
“Coaches will be able to use the three-leg circuit of the junior development programme as an avenue to assess their athletes.
“Our members were also on hand to guide these junior walkers,” he said.
The four new records were by Khor Jing Hong in the Boys Under-15, Kok Hui Ying in the Girls Under-15, Muhammad Hafiy Muhamad Mazuan in the Boys Under-9 and Nur Safiah Qaisara Muhamad Fadzli in the Girls Under 9.
Khoo said based on their showing, many of the participants had potential to go far in the sport.
“We look forward to helping them improve their walking techniques in the next two legs.
“Coaches and sports teachers are to be commended for promoting race walking among these athletes,” he said.
The junior development programme was organised by RWAM with the Federal Territory Kuala Lumpur Athletics Association as the co-organiser.
MKH Bhd is the new official partner, contributing cash prizes for record breakers, incentives to encourage walkers to improve their timing, as well as providing transport and accommodation subsidies for teams participating from other states.
As the main sponsor, Nestle Malaysia is providing T-shirts, beverages, banners and medals for participants.
The second leg of the circuit will be held on Aug 15 while the third is scheduled for Oct 24.
The top winners are:
Category A – Men Open Above-15 (5000m)
1. Irfan Hanania Abd Shahir 0:24:12
2. Muhammad Fakrulrazi Jailani 0:24:20
3. Teban Raj Chander 0:24:22
Category B – Women Open Above-15 (3000m)
1. Nurul Alyahaziqah Kamarazaman 0:16:31
2. Koong Jia Lin 0:16:48
3. Siti Nurul Balqis 0:17:56
Category C – Boys Under-15 (2000m)
1. Khor Jing Hong 0:09:18
2. Chau Tai Kee 0:09:29
3. Muhammad Hanif Humaidi Md Ramleey 0:09:55
Category D – Girls Under-15 (2000m)
1. Kok Hui Ying 0:10:08
2. Nursha Aina Balqis Mohd Shafie 0:10:13
3. Nurzafirah Balqis Mohd Zain 0:11:22
Category E - Boys Under-12 (1200m)
1. Muhammad Fahim Haziq Mohd Hasrul 0:06:43
2. Jimmy Low Yong Aik 0:06:55
3. Khairil Azeeq Khairilazuad 0:06:55
Category F - Girls Under-12 (1200m)
1. Khor Shu Yan 0:06:47
2. Nur Aqilah Qistina Azhar Mohd Noor 0:06:50
3. Ho Hui Shan 0:07:03
Category G - Boys Under-9 (800m)
1. Muhammad Hafiy Muhamad Mazuan 0:04:50
2. Muhammad Irfhan Abbasshy Shahrizan 0:05:15
3. Muhammad Mikhail Mohd Rezuan 0:05:21
Category H - Girls Under-9 (800m)
1. Nur Safiah Qaisara Muhamad Fadzli 0:04:58
2. Nurqalesya Qaisara Mohd Nawi 0:05:51
3. Nur Elysa Qistina Zulfadzli 0:05:53
Did you find this article insightful?