Boxing-Britain confirms boycott of men's world championships


FILE PHOTO: Russian boxer Anna Aedma faces Monique Suraci of Australia, in the Round of 32 of the elite women 50-52kg fly weight category, at the Women's World Boxing Championships, at Indira Gandhi Indoor stadium in New Delhi, India, March 16, 2023. REUTERS/Anushree Fadnavis

LONDON (Reuters) - British boxers will not take part in the men's amateur world championships in Tashkent after the country also boycotted last month's women's event in India amid mounting concern about the sport's Olympic future.

The men's tournament starts on April 30 in the Uzbek capital and runs to May 14.

The Star Festive Promo: Get 35% OFF Digital Access

Monthly Plan

RM 13.90/month

Best Value

Annual Plan

RM 12.33/month

RM 8.02/month

Billed as RM 96.20 for the 1st year, RM 148 thereafter.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Boxing

Boxing-Pacquiao to face Provodnikov in April return bout
Boxing-Fury says Joshua’s fatal Nigeria crash spurred his decision to return
Boxing-Fury to make comeback at Tottenham Hotspur stadium
Boxing-Khelif says she is open to genetic testing by IOC for 2028 Olympics
Boxing-Poland's former Olympic champion Kasprzyk dies aged 86
Boxing-Stevenson outpoints Lopez to become a four-division world champion
Boxing-Miller loses toupee in hair-raising fight but lands heavyweight win
Boxing-Joshua pays tribute to friends killed in Nigeria crash
Boxing-Fury confirms comeback fight against Makhmudov in April
Boxing-Tyson Fury announces latest comeback from retirement

Others Also Read