KUALA LUMPUR: The Youth and Sports Ministry have no objection for national bowlers to undergo training during the current movement control order period.
Their minister, Datuk Seri Reezal Merican Naina Merican said the national bowling team have been given an exemption to undergo training under the sports bubble or quarantine-based approaches although the bowling centres have yet to get the green light to operate.
“For elite athletes under the National Sports Council (NSC) programme, there is no problem for them to continue training, ” said Reezal.
“For the public, it is still not allowed as there is a tendency for them to go bowling for leisure and most bowling centres are located in shopping complexes.
“We are opening up the sports that have an impact on the public and livelihood, and direct impact on fitness and health.
“Sports that are related to leisure can come in next phases.”
The training for the national bowlers has been affected as bowling centres, including training venues located in shopping complexes, has been closed since Jan 13.
Meanwhile, NSC director-general Datuk Ahmad Shapawi Ismail explained that the national bowling squad had chosen to leave the quarantine-based training camp last month.
“The bowling squad had requested to leave the camp on the assumption that the MCO would end in two weeks, but it has been extended. We will wait until Feb 18 to see whether the MCO is extended or not, ” said Shapawi.
“If it is extended, we will discuss again with the MTBC (Malaysian Tenpin Bowling Congress) and will resume training using the sports bubble approach.
“The athletes are required to stay at NSC’s accommodation and we will provide special vehicles for them to go to the training centre and return, ” he said.