A close call for top pair Aaron and Wooi Yik

THE relief was clearly written on shuttler Soh Wooi Yik’s face.

Wooi Yik, along with Aaron Chia, survived a gruelling battle against Taiwan’s Lu Ching-yao-Yang Po-han to advance to the second round of the men’s doubles competition in the Asian Games.

The world No. 5 pair had to save two match points in the third game to prevail 21-23, 21-12, 23-21 in a nail-biting opening round match at the Binjiang Gymnasium in Hangzhou yesterday.

The Malaysians had beaten the world No. 14 Taiwanese pair four times before but suffered a shock loss in their last meeting at the Australian Open in August.

Ching-yao-Po-han were obviously trying to repeat that victory and had Aaron-Wooi Yik under pressure from the start with their aggressive and faced attacks.

They won the first game narrowly, but the higher-ranked Malaysians stormed back to win the second game.

The third was neck-and-neck until Aaron-Wooi Yik pulled away to lead 17-14.

The persistent Taiwanese duo, however, refused to give in and clawed their way back to lead 20-19 and 21-20.

Aaron-Wooi Yik stayed ice cool under pressure to draw level both times before getting the two points they needed at 21-21.

“It was a really tough match,” admitted Aaron. “We knew it would not be easy against this Taiwanese pair.

“We went all out to get the win and perhaps luck favoured us a little.

‘‘We will stay focused for the next match.”

Aaron-Wooi Yik, Malaysia’s best bet to win a medal in badminton, next face Thailand’s world No. 36 Supak Jomkoh-Kittinupong Kedren for a place in the quarter-finals.

Meanwhile, it was despair for independent pair Ong Yew Sin-Teo Ee Yi, who went down 16-21, 19-21 to another Taiwanese pair, reigning Olympic champions Lee Yang-Wang Chi-lin.

It was world No. 9 Yew Sin-Ee Yi’s sixth defeat in their nine meetings.

There was good news in the mixed doubles, though, as both Chen Tang Jie-Toh Ee Wei and Goh Soon Huat-Shevon Lai Jemie made it into second round.

Tang Jie-Ee Wei beat Singapore’s Andy Kwek-Crystal Wong 21-17, 21-13 to set up a second round meeting against India’s K. Sai Pratheek-Tanisha Crasto.

Soon Huat-Shevon on the other hand did not need to raise a sweat after their opponents – another Indian pair Rohan Kapoor-Sikki Reddy – conceded a walkover.

Sikki Reddy was understood to be carrying an injury. Soon Huat-Shevon will next play Thailand’s Supak and Supissara Paewsampran.

Subscribe now to our Premium Plan for an ad-free and unlimited reading experience!

Next In Badminton

Pang Ron-Su Yin run out of steam but last-four outing will fuel them for longer runs
Soong slams Syed Modi organisers for chaotic journey that disrupted his focus
Ling Ching making fine progress with fighting display in Lucknow
Early exit no worry as Justin’s satisfied with overall showing in comeback
Pang Ron-Su Yin’s impressive run draws praises from coach Nova
Joo Ven rediscovers joy of playing as he savours biggest win this year
Paris Olympics a distant dream but the chase continues for Sze Fei-Izzuddin
Thien How hopes better results on the cards after reshuffle in women’s doubles
Zii Jia can breathe easier after getting back to where he belongs
Shevon stays steadfast despite year of twists and turns

Others Also Read