KUALA LUMPUR: There is a glimmer of hope for two-time former world junior champion Goh Jin Wei to escape a two-year suspension or be given a lighter punishment.
This follows the decision by the Badminton Association of Malaysia (BAM) to soften their stance on world No. 7 Lee Zii Jia by allowing him to pursue an independent career with conditions.
However, Jin Wei will have to wait longer as the BAM said that they have not received an appeal yet.
“We were only discussing Zii Jia today because that was his appeal,” said BAM deputy president II Datuk Seri Jahaberdeen Mohd Yunoos yesterday.
“As for Jin Wei, we’re unable to start any discussion yet because we haven’t even received the appeal.
“But the process will be the same. Any player who submits the appeal to us will go through a similar process.”
Like Zii Jia, the 21-year-old Jin Wei was also slapped with a two-year ban from Oct 31 last year after she attempted to make a comeback as a professional rather than rejoin the national team.
The BAM had previously given Jin Wei their blessings to leave the national side on the assumption that she had announced her retirement – a decision that she eventually regretted months later.
The action taken by the BAM last Friday on these two players sparked anger among Malaysians who felt that the duo were unfairly treated.
They made their voices heard by launching several petitions to urge the BAM to reverse their harsh punishments on both Zii Jia and Jin Wei.