PETALING JAYA: The India Open tournament scheduled for May 11-16 has been postponed by organisers, the Badminton Association of India (BAI), due to the recent spike in Covid-19 cases in the country.
The Badminton World Federation (BWF) in a statement said the decision was made in consultation and collaboration with local health authorities in New Delhi and the world body.
"All attempts were made by organisers to conduct a safe tournament environment for all participants, but the recent spike in Covid-19 cases and gravity of the situation in New Delhi left BAI no choice but to postpone the tournament," it said on Monday (April 19).
The BWF World Tour Super 500 event had already seen withdrawals of 13 players, including top names like reigning Olympic champion Carolina Marin of Spain, former world champion Ratchanok Intanon of Thailand and BWF World Tour Finals champion Anders Antonsen of Denmark among others.
Malaysian national shuttlers, including Rio Olympics mixed doubles silver medallists Chan Peng Soon-Goh Liu Ying, had entered for the tournament that is supposed to be the final event to gain points for the Tokyo Olympic qualification.