Chong Wei: Get-rich-quick scheme using my name is fake


  • Badminton
  • Saturday, 25 Jul 2020

PETALING JAYA: There are no shortcuts to sporting or financial success –- or anything else for that matter.

Just ask former world No. 1 singles shuttler Lee Chong Wei. It has taken him years of hard work, sacrifices and rough knocks to become one of the most successful and best paid sportsmen in the country during his heyday.

And that’s why Chong Wei is dismayed over a get-rich-quick investment scam using his name that is being circulated on the Internet.

He hopes that no one gets duped.

“It’s fake news and I hope people will not believe it. Don’t fall for scams like this, ” said the 37-year-old Chong Wei.

There is a report going around with the title “Lee Chong Wei’s latest investment has experts in awe and big banks terrified.”

The report also says that “Chong Wei has come up with a new secret investment that’s making hundreds of people in Malaysia very rich.”

For Chong Wei, there is no secret to success.

He had toiled for almost two decades before retiring last year, which saw him winning silvers at three Olympic Games (2008,2012 and 2016), three World Championships silvers and countless Open titles.

He had worked under different coaches, training and physical programmes but with the same enthusiasm and dedication.

“There are no shortcuts to success or fame. Money do not just come your way without hard work. It took me years to be where I am now. It just did not happen overnight, ” said Chong Wei.

“How can I help others to become successful in a quick way when I had to go the distance?

“The news on the Internet is not right, they should not use the names of others to make big bucks. I will look into this.”

Chong Wei hoped all athletes would not look for shortcuts but be focused on their careers.

“The journey of an athlete is long and challenging but keep at it – eventually, one will reap the rewards of his or her hard work, ” he said.

If not for the Covid-19 pandemic, Chong Wei would have left for Tokyo with the Malaysian contingent for the Olympic Games yesterday as the chef de mission.

The Games has been postponed to next year because of the virus.

“I’m still waiting for some form of directive, my task has also been deferred for now, ” he added.

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 18
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
   

Did you find this article insightful?

Yes
No

83% readers found this article insightful

Across the site