It’s no Goh for Wuhan


KUALA LUMPUR: The Malaysian badminton contingent have suffered a double blow ahead of the Badminton Asia Championships in Wuhan, China.

Mixed doubles pair Goh Soon Huat-Shevon Lai Jemie and women’s singles player Goh Jin Wei have pulled out from the event which starts from April 23-28.

Soon Huat is suffering from a thigh injury while Jin Wei is not fit.

Soon Huat also withdrew from the second round of the Malaysian Open when he felt unwell in the morning match.

He and Shevon’s performance at the Singapore Open last week was also affected as they failed to defend their title after being knocked out in the second round.

“He feels a bit of a pull on his thigh, it’s nothing major but it did affect our performance in Singapore. Pulling out is a precautionary measure so that it doesn’t become serious,” said Shevon.

“Nobody wants something like this to happen. I’ll just continue training without him, work on my weaknesses and sharpen my skills.”

Soon Huat can only hope to be fit for the New Zealand Open (April 30-May 5) which offers Olympic qualifying points.

The pair have been drawn with Singapore’s Danny Bawa Chrisnanta-Tan Wei Han in the first round and in the second round, they are slated to go up against one of two South Korean pairs in Choi Sol-gyu-Kim So-yeong or Park Kyung-hoon-Kim Hye-rin.

“It won’t be easy because the top players will be there to collect points too.”

Women’s singles head coach Datuk Tey Seu Bock said that Jin Wei is feeling the strain of competing in too many tournaments.

“I want her to take a break as she has not fully recovered. I hope she’ll be back to her best for the New Zealand Open.”