Chong Wei promises to come back to court soon


NANJING: National men's singles ace Lee Chong Wei has no intention to retire anytime soon.

The world No. 2, who's in Taiwan undergoing treatment for a respiratory illness, reiterated his desire to continue playing badminton in a video released by Yonex on the Chinese social media platform Weibo on Monday.

In the 51-second video, Chong Wei apologised to Chinese badminton fans for not attending the new racket launch in Nanjing and the ongoing World Championships.

He spoke about the product before thanking long-time friend and rival Lin Dan of China, who attended the launch ceremony on his behalf.

“I'm sorry for not attending the AX99 new product launch and the BWF World Championships," said Chong Wei, in his first public appearance since the news about him falling ill broke out last week.

“Thanks to Lin Dan for attending this activity for me and I wish him the best and he will achieve good results (at the world meet)."

Chong Wei ended his video with what the fans wanted to hear the most: "I will go back to the badminton court to meet you as soon as possible,” said the 35-year-old shuttler.

Lee Chong Wei , badminton , Taiwan , message , Weibo , Yonex